[BC] Digital Storage

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Mon Nov 29 12:21:10 CST 2010

Just saying though, 2Tb disks, while they hold a lot of data, i wouldn't trust them in anything short of any type of commercial hardware RAID controller, and have a bajillion spindles. Expecting a single drive (or a few USB drives) to hold all your stations automation music without any backup is silly.

I think we did the math once for our "archive" to be digitized. IIRC, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 100Tb, and a bunch of years just to actually "rip" the discs and vinyl dubs.  Which, today, really isn't a whole lot of storage. And we obviously don't play EVERY cut from a CD, some have swearing, some just suck, others are 10 minutes of silence to find that "hidden track". (or 93 negative 1-second tracks, talk about annoying!) The real hard part for us to move to a digitized medium is liner notes. All our music is hand reviewed for history and "good cuts". We're college after all, if it's been in the top 40 market EVER, we don't play it. We play B-Sides, but you'll never hear us play something by ke$ha or anything like that. (With a few exceptions, we played alice's resturaunt at the top of every hour on thanksgiving...)

And to the point that we're a college station, i'm pretty sure we have a LOT of one-off CDs and demos from bands nobody's ever heard of, including in-studio cuts. Finding a replacement for a good 30% of our music is actually impossible. We have demo discs from Johnny Lang before he was a signed artist, and when he toured locally. We have a BUNCH of in-studio recordings from a fair number of now-well-known acts, but these were before they were anybody. All mastered on ADAT and stereo tracks on DAT or Reel...

Most of those however have been moved to DVD or CD for storage and long-term archives, but very little will ever get put into automation. Believe me, if i was doing it, the music folk would be ripping the tracks they like (rotation and recurrents) into automation 10 years ago, but the station manager is an old school player. Hell, we used to shut down the transmitter if there wasn't a warm body behind the mic! Finally got that stopped with a lot of pressure and a number of years. :)

We have our first satellite receiver in the stations 40 year history... and we only use it for overnights. :)

--
Alex Hartman