[BC] AM Stereo

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Wed Nov 24 08:48:38 CST 2010

At 03:52 PM 11/23/2010, Dana  Puopolo wrote:

>His fight added 5+ years to the adoption of AM stereo, which gave FM time to
>kill popular music on AM. The original system (Magnavox) picked by the FCC
>worked GREAT-and if it had been quickly adopted music AM would have had
>another ten years. Don't believe me? Look at Australia, where AM music
>stations QUICKLY embraced AM stereo-and music was popular on AM until the mid
>1990s.

I don't buy that. When the Magnavox system was chosen all Hades broke
loose and manufacturers and engineers objected to it. That's what
caused the "marketplace" decision. There are many people to blame.
The multi-system chip would have solved the problem. Egos all around
torpedoed that one. Motorola could just as easily have manufactured
that chip. They wouldn't, so they lost almost the entire market. I
can't believe they made money on chips or equipment. Like IBUZ almost
no one knew they had AM stereo. They didn't ask for it. It was just
there. My Jeep's Jensen radio was stereo. I had no idea until I came
across a stereo station I usually didn't listen to and noticed a tiny
unmarked red light. Previously, I just thought the station sounded
good until I noticed the stereo image.

I was very involved with AM Stereo. A friend and I started the AM
Stereo Association. There wasn't much interest in AM Stereo, just
like IBUZ today. We returned the members' money. I believe I still
have the first newsletter somewhere.

The ABC sent someone to try and convince me to move to Australia and
run the radio division. At the time they felt AM Stereo would slow
the growth of FM. The government owned stations were AM and FMs were
just being licensed. AM stereo did nothing to slow the growth of FM
in Australia. The same was true in New Zealand. I was offered a
similar job there. At the time I was the only programmer with
experience with AM stereo.

As I look back on it, I see the same major problem that IBUZ has.
There was an almost total lack of interest on the part of consumers.
I don't care how many teats they add to IBUZ, none of them will get
consumers to replace the estimated one billion receivers in use.

I can remember one fan of XTRA in stereo. The GM of KHJ called me to
tell me he listened in his office all the time. He used two radios
slightly off-tuned to get stereo. That was another advantage of the
Kahn system even though most listeners wouldn't make the extra
(pardon the pun) effort to use two receivers. Listeners wanted the
content. FM didn't grow because of stereo. It took off when Rock
formats migrated there. This horrified FM's Classical and Easy
Listening listeners. Again, content. The improved audio quality
without buzzes and whistles didn't hurt. Remember that the first FM
Rock formats were creative, innovative and entertaining. AM was still
doing Top 40 in the same cookie cutter way all radio does formats
today. The only advantage AM had were the great personalities.

We're finding that the little extra effort to connect a smartphone to
a car radio is too much heavy lifting for many when a listener is
commuting. That extra minute is a deal killer for many. Start the
engine and the radio goes on tuned to a favorite station. No heavy
lifting. Simple. I always have my iPhone 4 with me. Even I'm too lazy
to connect it for short trips. I choose silence. For long trips I do
it. Pandora works well even on AT&T's EDGE network and is far more
reliable than IBUZ here.

Blaming Leonard Kahn for AM stereo's abortive history is
intellectually dishonest. Before any other system was available,
Leonard had convinced almost all the New York 50kW AMs to run it. The
same is true across the country. They were forced to drop it when
Motorola won. I believe they won not because of the quality of the
system but its political clout and wads of cash.  As cranky as
Leonard can be, the engineers at the time trusted his expertise. Give
him credit for his passion for AM radio and his system. For Motorola
it was just a hoped-for cash cow. For Leonard it was passion.

I seem to recall the matrix the FCC released from a survey of
engineers. Kahn was considered the best, then Harris, then Magnavox,
then Motorola. I think even Belar had a system. Beyond the #1
position I could be wrong about the positions of the others.

That's all spilled milk now, as is IBUZ.

I think it's time to stop holding a grudge against a brilliant man
and get on with life.

Rich