[BC] Can technology create a significant revenue source for radio?

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Tue Nov 23 11:06:17 CST 2010

Good points, and yes it would stress the system, but here's where people have to get creative. :)

As for the thoughts on the countryside thing, I do live in the country. I'm 15 minutes to the nearest city center, 1 hour away from any metro area. Sparse population small town. Now think about how you defined what would constitute rural broadband. I live in a town of about 5,000 people. I would need roughly 100 micro-cell wifi sites or so of traditional wifi to cover the entire population. But we also have a co-op cable company that offers broadband. AND they also offer DSL (weird huh!). So there's options, lots of them. So, of that 5,000 population, say 1/4 would sign up for the broadband, like the farmers on the edge of town where cable doesn't go and just out of reach of the DSL signal. Wifi makes perfect sense in this case! They're all spread out so i don't really have them stacked, they're farms, so they probably have a grain elevator or 2 (free tower rent for internet service anyone?). See how simple this REALLY can be? I have wifi equipment that can support about 50-60 users simultaneously. And that's compounded like if i use the grain elevator as an access point, the city water tower, maybe even the city has a tower for civil use. The only issue then is a big enough backhaul to a major metro area with the bandwidth to support my users. That's where it gets tricky. :)

So, getting broadband to users isn't terribly hard, it's getting it to the rest of the world that makes it a little more entertaining.

As for the major metro areas, T-Mobile and ATT used to have this service called UMA. If you were within range of one of their wifi hotspots, your phone would automatically connect to it and route through it versus the cell tower. It took the load off the tower and back onto hard line.  With the municipal wifi happening, this idea should be pushed harder since wifi microsites on street lights is a metric F-ton cheaper than deploying a high-density cell tower. Problem semi-solved.

But yes, bandwidth would not get any cheaper with such a high demand. Unfortunately the current government doesn't believe in the laws of economics to see that this is what will happen.

--
Alex Hartman