[BC] Can technology create a significant revenue source for radio?

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Nov 23 00:24:23 CST 2010

Now, imagine for a moment all Broadcast goes away, and everyone goes
to Internet streaming.

The population of New York City is just under 8.4 million people in
just the five Boroughs of the city.  This ignores the population in
the broadcast metro, which includes parts of New Jersey, Long Island,
Connecticut, and other counties in the state of New York.

The DMA is over 19 million people.

Now, even if all TV and FM radio spectrum was turned over to
"wireless" so people can listen to their own stream.  There just isn't
enough spectrum, unless the cell sizes are massively reduced by
greatly increasing the number of cell sites.  The costs would be so
high that no one could afford the service, not to mention the public
generally strongly opposes the installation of towers and monopoles.

Even in NYC, many apartment buildings cannot easily be used as
locations for cell sites because the residents don't want them -- for
no good reason, of course.

NIMBYs rule.

What will happen is the cost of the data will run WAY up, so it will
be very expensive to listen.

Even the DC area at over 5 million people, and is only that low
because it is up against Baltimore, which is really, in many ways, the
same "metro" area, is over five million people.  Still won't work.
Baltimore adds in another nearly three million people.  OUCH!

Another interesting aside is that there are many in government, even
at the FCC, who want to bring "broadband" to rural areas, and they
assume that will be wireless.  This is stupid on two levels.  First of
all, I LONG to live in the country.  I realize I lose several things.
Good restaurants will be far away.  I won't have either cable TV or
FiOS available to me, and likely not even DSL.  Satellite TV is fine,
but satellite Internet is expensive, but it is something I am willing
to give up in order to live in the country.  Also, grocery shopping
would be a trip, and my wife's commute would be much worse.  OK, we
are not moving.  Why should the government use my tax money to bring
"broadband" to people who CHOOSE to live in the country?

--chip