[BC] Can technology create a significant revenue source for radio?

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Mon Nov 22 07:43:42 CST 2010

------ At 03:39 PM 11/21/2010, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------

>         So, then ... the bottom line is: you agree that streaming
> is the best way
>         to increase revenue.

I would agree. However, I think a separate stream with different
content will make it more than a value-added service. Streaming your
current audio probably isn't going to make much money. If it's sold,
it has to be sold separately, anyway. It can't be added to your
overall numbers until the AFTRA dispute is settled. Unless it's a
100% simulcast, Arbitron won't add the numbers, so some heavy lifting
is necessary.

The best bet is to expand your brand with a separate stream. That's
going to require some really creative people. Trouble is they've
probably already been fired. Streaming has the advantage of having a
very large installed base of "receivers." With the fast growth of
Smartphones, nearly every citizen can receive it.

At WOR we were among the first to stream. I was visited by Mark Cuban
and Todd Wagner and we put WOR on broadcast.com. I believe KLIF was
the first on the service. Both are/were in Dallas. Later, we added
"The Best of Everything" with a large and broad playlist spanning
decades. To my ears it's a great format. It's programmed by WOR's
former GM Bob Bruno. Bob is a walking encyclopedia of music. More
recently WOR began a Country Music stream completely separate from
WOR's Talk format. It's targeted to New York. The city hasn't had a
country format since the old WYNY. Saul Levine of SoCalMedia has also
started a country stream targeting New York from Los Angeles. Having
worked on both coasts I can tell you the music tastes are very
different. I believe WOR was first but Saul claims the title. My bet
is that WOR's stream will have more of a New York flavor. They know the market.

Many of you have probably noticed that I'm not an IBUZ supporter.
However, I have to give WOR credit for giving it a try on the AM and
recently increasing the IBUZ power on WDRC-FM, Hartford. I believe
Buckley is the first commercial broadcaster to do it.

Buckley Broadcasting has an advantage. They're not hindered by Wall
Street. Has anyone ever met an artistically creative Wall Street banker?

Rich
It may take years to monetize the streams but they're in place and
will need some very sharp salespeople to make them pay.