[BC] Can technology create a significant revenue source for radio?

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Sun Nov 21 20:32:53 CST 2010

       Quite. SO .. the question, again,
>       Can new technology create a significant revenue source for radio?

Absolutely! Think about having 8 radio stations programmed essentially for next to nothing, with no overhead other than streaming costs (surely can be less than powering 8 full power transmitters) AND you now have a GLOBAL audience? National ad revenue anyone?

>       Some feel that "apps" are the answer. To drive
>       listening on cell phones. As you note, with
>       Pandora, etc, the only way to combat is localism.
>       That is not a technology in of itself.. but it
>       may be that you can't separate the tech from the content?

It's a new play on an old idea really. It's changing the method of delivery more than anything. If you have a robust "app" (for the 3 major smartphone platforms, not just iPhone!) You can provide all your localism in one app plus content delivery be it music, sports, alternative programming, etc. Not to mention they can stream the station, plus get weather updates, traffic info, school closings, oh, did i mention you could do GRAPHICAL ad insertion AND rotation? I'm pretty sure Budweiser would buy a spot on there, along with a bunch of everything else!

Again, get creative with it! I did this for my college station. We have an app for Android, iPhone/iPod/iPAD and Blackberries. All of them generate non-traditional revenue with a simple "donate now" button, added onto the cell phone bill. Money they never physically see, so it's money they never spent. Yay psychology! Instead of begging twice a year for a week at a time, we beg year round, silently. We've seen quite the increase in donations from that alone! Enough to pay for my new streaming system and then some.

--
Alex Hartman