[BC] Getting the Commercials on

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Sun Nov 21 08:47:17 CST 2010

  When WGN was king, Wally Phillips read more live spots than they
played recorded. He seamlessly wove the commercials into his show as
live reads.  While WGN still had commercial breaks, the amounted to 1/2
the actual load.  Yet wally still kept 10 shares.

Live radio still has a LOT to offer.  But it will take both a patient
owner as well as a skilled PD to read the market and nurture the talent.
Both of which are really lacking these days.

MM