[BC] Getting the Commercials on

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Sat Nov 20 22:14:43 CST 2010

When I was a child, my parents listened to "Harden and Weaver" on
WMAL, 630 kHz in DC as we ate breakfast.

These guys were EARLY contemporaries of "The Joy Boys" Willard Scott
and Ed Walker, the Today show weather guy and the blind announcer on
WAMU.

  Frank Harden and Jackson Weaver were the morning to the afternoon
Joy Boys "who chased electrons to and fro," on WMAL.  I LOVED it.

One day, as a child, gaining an interest and understanding of
commercial radio, mentioned to my father that they never played
commercials.

His retort was, "you have got to be kidding, you nee to listen closer."

I did.

I then noticed that one of them would comment, "Hey, I was out at.
"Roy's Place in Rockville last night and I had the best sandwich I
have had in YEARS!  It was the crab salad on french bread, and the
french fries were to die for.  You have got to get out to Roy's Place
soon."

They never broke for commercials.  They did live, off the notes,
reads.  By the time I was reaching two digits, I got it.  They were
having lunch at five places every day, and dinner at three, breakfast
may have been 15.  They also bought a lot of cars, and had a lot of
cars serviced.  OK, my dysfunctional father notice the problems, but
man, those guys related with both the audience and the clients.  My
father would have made a great lying GM, or lying Sales Manager.  Then
again, he could sell water to a drowning man.

I don't think Paul Harvey or Jr. are NEARLY as good, they always say,
"Page 'X'" before diving into the commercial.  There is always that
warning.  Still, Paul is STILL the king of the live read.

Paul Harvey and his son don't really weave, they kind of segue.

--chip