[BC] Ed Burkhardt

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Sat Nov 20 21:03:44 CST 2010

Odd.  I never talked politics with Ed.  If he was uber conservative, I
would have made fun of him from time to time.  If he was uber liberal,
I would have made fun of him nearly all the time.  If he was
Libertarian (live and let live), I would have had fun too, but we both
would have enjoyed it, and I would have had a drinking buddy.

Initially, I didn't appreciate the "YOUR FALING ARE THE FOLLOWING:"
comments on a FREAKING POST CARD mailed to the station.  However, I
soon came to appreciate them, and used them.  I would copy them, along
with corrective action in order to let the GM, and sometimes the PD
know what I was doing.  Working in the background all the time does
not fly one's flag.

I expanded this to copy the GM, and depending on the PD, the PD, all
discrepancy reports or even notes of complaint to the GM and the PD,
along with the corrective action.  This would often include the jock
memo in response to the jock problem.  Often it was best to try to fix
the jock.  Recall the "round mound of sound, the steam roller of love"
who would "fix" cart machine phase during his on air shift.

I always felt I have nothing to hide.

I didn't talk to him often, maybe once a month, and we had no long
conversations, but I always respected him, and what he sent me.  I was
SHOCKED by his passing as it was sudden.  We both know a guy who
wanted out of the CE grind who almost bought his business.  Had I
known sooner, I would have invested too.  Another good engineer.  We
would have done OK for a while, but would, of course, likely been out
of business now.

By the way, the ARRL does frequency test contests at least once a
year.  (Mostly) hams measure the frequencies the ARRL puts on the air
in the ham band, and the closest get awarded in _QST_.

--chip