[BC] The wrong way to deal with tech budgets

Jeff Johnson jeff at rfproof.com
Sat Nov 20 14:02:10 CST 2010

Those of us who do this as an extension of our hobbies are mostly 60+,
myself included.

A recognized component of my salary presently and with Xavier was for being
on call '24/7, 365, nights, weekends and holidays'. 'Business hours' people
simply do not 'get it' in general. "Well, when are you off??" "Um, never,
except when I am out-of-town a few days of the year. That gives them a
different viewpoint - 'never off'!

When the supply of hobby-based technical 'Renaissance' folks like us is
gone, then salaries will rise.

"Our transmitter is off, and my eMail does not work, call the engineer!"
"Well he died two months ago, and no one else can do it all." "Oh."

Jeff.Johnson at rfproof.com