[BC] The wrong way to deal with tech budgets

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Sat Nov 20 11:35:44 CST 2010

Actually, there's **ONE** radio outlet that sees the value of an engineering department... Public radio. I'm in Minnesota, home to the largest public radio network in the country (short of NPR of course, but MPR is the backup for NPR, go figure). They spend about 40% of their budget on engineering, the rest is programming and such. Now, they DO have almost 40 stations to maintain from Miami to LA... (yes, MPR has gotten a little... um, big)

But their engineers get a pretty respectable salary, time off, etc. All the things people should get. Not $30k/yr for being on-call 24/7, and expected to fix a million dollar problem with 20 bucks. (i always told one of the GM's I worked for in commercial radio that engineering might cost you money, but with the crap they're putting on the air, the PDs are going to cost you a LOT more... yet i'm the one costing money.)

Also, look at it this way, the broadcast plant *IS* turning into a datacenter, not anything the 'old timers' would even recognize. The guy who taught me everything about RF was telling me a while ago that in the 20 years he's been doing radio, he's NEVER had to REBOOT a transmitter... until now. So, to think that traditional analog AM/FM broadcasts are going to stick around like the good ole days... pretty sure the rude awakening is coming.

The broadcasters have to get up and start bitching about these royalty fees, find a few lobbyists, i know they have them. It's extortion the way it is. ASCAP/BMI should cover streaming as well, but someone wants to get rich quick, and it's not us. Looks like the royalties are somewhat figured out to be "somewhat" reasonable nowdays. $500 "minimum" and $0.0019/per performance.

My whole take on it, mail them the $500 minimum and call yourself a small-time broadcaster, because they never took into consideration AM/FM stations doing this, they put the fees in place to stop internet-only radio stations. they should be happy they get any money at all given that i'm sure NO FM/AM broadcaster does more than 6000 "aggregate tuning hours" in a month.

As for the rest of the digital world, podcasts and the like, unless you've got a highly specialized show you're already spending the money on to produce, don't bother.

--
Alex Hartman