[BC] The wrong way to deal with tech budgets

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Sat Nov 20 10:49:03 CST 2010

You just defined the problem with radio, Tom!  Radio expects us to work with
all those things like computers, etc. AND maintain transmitter sites, AND fix
toilets, etc., with unreasonable budgets to work with, while other industries
do not!  A friend of mine got laid off in September because the network he was
the engineer for moved to Houston (it was sold). Rather then bothering to stay
in radio he said: "screw it" and took a position as an IT administrator at a
law firm that has multiple offices. He has half the work, a budget that
reflects reality, a better salary, and a more stable position. I was told that
a major market job opening for a cluster transmitter supervisor attracted FOUR
applicants-and one was a bus boy! It's been open for four months-and still is,
by the way. Radio is shooting itself in the foot by making the assumption that
there will always be engineers eager to work in it. THERE WILL NOT BE! Right
now, I don't know a single engineer under 30 in radio. Twenty years ago, I
could rattle off a dozen without even thinking. I can't tell you how many
station engineers call Barix looking for 'half off' deals on demo units
because their managers won't let them spend 600 dollars for an Instreamer and
an Exstreamer to replace their failing STL. Barix has gotten stiffed so many
times offering demos that they don't offer them any more-and many dealers
don't either. I can't tell you how many stations have called me that have 50
computers connected to a Linksys, Belkin or Netgear home router-and then
wonder why their Barixes break up and all their computers' Internet access
runs slow. I guess there must be a reason why Cisco (also) offers business
class equipment after all-to run larger syetems! Home type routers generally
are only useful up to about 20 computers-after that their performance begins
degrading rapidly-yet they are the mainstay at most radio stations.

Engineering has always been considered a cost center. Unfortunately in radio
many managers don't make the connection between a well funded engineering
department and the 'big picture' of the radio station running well. In other
industries they DO. That law firm, car dealer or restaurant would be dead in
the water without a good IT staff/department, and they KNOW IT!
The avearge radio station doesn't....

That's the BIG difference between radio and other industries today....

-D

From: "Thomas G. Osenkowsky" <tosenkowsky at prodigy.net>

Yes, but....there is this phenomenon known as progress. Reality dictates
that we change with the times as our audience has. We must embrace, not
reject new technologies. If I were unable to maintain computers, digitally
controlled devices, automation, satellite, etc. I would be unemployed. I'm
not advocating it, just stating it. I couldn't knit a damn thing if I tried.
The last time I sewed a fallen button, I had to do it three times....