[BC] Frequency Measurement detector...

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 07:33:46 CST 2010

Broadcast List USER wrote:

> The late Ed Burkhart in the Baltimore-Washington-Richmond and beyond
> markets used a similar method, though he viewed it on an
> oscilloscope.  He would count the rotation of the Lissajous figure on
> the scope, which showed the frequency high or low.  I really don't
> know how he did it, but he did it well.
/*snip*/

   I spent a night viewing am frequency measurements (at WLAK
Electronics) in Lakeland, FL in the early '60s with a friend
that worked there.  He used a "transfer oscillator" to match
the incoming carrier on a 3" scope tube with a grounded cap in
the center of the screen, which I found to be quite odd, he
said it repelled the beam to keep the Lissajous figures out
near the edge of the screen.  The incoming carrier was received
and amplified with a variable width TRF receiver fed by a phased
array on top of the roof of the concrete block building which
is/was 200' from the WLAK-AM transmitter. (5 kW at the studio
on the West side of lake Bonny.  All of the equipment were GR
and occupied 3 full sized racks.
I have seen all of the components for sale at "Herbach & Rademan"
20 years ago.  I applied for a job there after I got my 1st class
ticket, but "Bill" talked me out of it.  (he said I would spend
years fixing 2 way radios in concrete trucks and such)

--
Ron KA4INM