[BC] Frequency Measurement detector...

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Fri Nov 19 22:52:09 CST 2010

The late Ed Burkhart in the Baltimore-Washington-Richmond and beyond
markets used a similar method, though he viewed it on an
oscilloscope.  He would count the rotation of the Lissajous figure on
the scope, which showed the frequency high or low.  I really don't
know how he did it, but he did it well.

For AM, he measured carrier frequency.

For FM, he measured carrier frequency, Pilot frequency and level, SCA
carrier(s) frequency and level.

He also measured noise, kind of roughly, but you could be sure that if
he put a note on the bottom of your post card that you should check
noise on something, you had better do it.  I used him at an AM, and
four FMs over the years.

He lived on a hill north of Richmond, VA, from what I understand, with
a fairly short tower, and a room full of stuff in a room on the back
of his house.

New or fill-in overnight Jocks were interesting.  Some tried to talk
him into giving them the Hotline number.  Some refused to believe
someone was calling them on the Hotline to ask for dead air.  When
that happened and he could not convince the jock he was on the level,
I would get a call the next day and got to write a note to the jock
telling him or her to OBAY.  Sometimes that resulted in a late night
call to the PD who would dress down the jock.

We agreed to let the jocks give away a prize if they had one anytime
in their shift.  "We are going to shut up for just a moment to a few
minutes.  The first caller to get through when we play the next song
gets a..."

We even used that for extended maintenance intervals.  This was very
interesting when I was working at a top rated Top-40.  The jock would
announce, sometimes several times, that we would be going off at
Midnight, or 2 AM, or whatever, and that the first caller, of up to
first nine callers to get through would win a ... whatever.

I would always walk down to the studio and tell the jock to give a
Legal ID and play a song.  It just amazed me that all nine Request
Lines would be lit in a second, even if we were off the air for five
or six hours.  These were people who would dial the first 9 digits of
the Request Line number and hover a finger over the last digit.  I am
guessing those days are over!

--chip