[BC] exciter problem fix of note

Tom Taggart tpt at literock93r.com
Thu Nov 18 08:50:37 CST 2010

I have a friend who routinely sends me his latest E-Bay
material for re-hab. Usually 8100's or FM exciters of
various vintages, especially FX-30's and Energy-Onics/RVR
products.

Not having the latest and greatest test equipment, I
routinely go through and replace any electrolytics that can
be gotten to, including those power rail by-pass caps in the
power amps of the exciters. Since the exciters usually look
like they've lived a hard life, I assume the caps are likely
to be marginal, if not failed.

Same thing, as well, with the fans in the RVR's.  Pabst
makes nice replacements (8500N series) that slip right in,
some of the early models used this fan instead of the $10 DC
job in the later models.