[BC] exciter problem fix of note

Gary Peterson kzerocx at rap.midco.net
Thu Nov 18 07:56:37 CST 2010

Until I had a way to measure ESR (equivalent series resistance), I would
agree with you.  Since I acquired an ESR meter to go with my old,
first-edition Sencore Z-Meter, I have found electrolytics that measured OK
for value and leakage but flunked the ESR test.

My Capacitor Wizard will check capacitors, in-circuit.  Its output (~ 100
kHz at ~ 100 mV) will not forward bias P-N junctions.  I can't imagine how I
got along without it.  It's one of those truly useful gizmos.

Gary
CE KFXS, KOUT, KKMK, KRCS, KKLS & KKMK

"So far, so good.  Here's the interesting part:  just for kicks, I tested
the old caps on a cap checker, and they showed full value!
So let this be a learning experience, that some electrolytic caps are no
longer fit for duty even tho they test OK.
Have any others out there had similar experiences, where caps tested
good but misbehaved in circuit?
*/Mike Patton/*"