[BC] Teabaggers to Chop Public Broadcasting Funding?

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Wed Nov 17 11:52:20 CST 2010

------ At 09:01 AM 11/17/2010, Dana  Puopolo wrote: -------

>That way there's no local NJ news on the air to tell everyone what Christie is
>doing-or UNdoing.

That may be an unintended benefit but I suspect it's
teabagger-inspired cost cutting (I assume he wants to be re-elected).
It sounds like when Rudy Giulianni sold WNYC-AM/FM/TV. He said he
didn't think the city should be running stations. He sold it for a
one-time shot in the arm. The money was probably wasted within days.

The Juan Williams incident is still bubbling and incumbent and
incoming Republicans seem to want to chop everything but tax breaks
for the super rich and earmarks (wink, wink).

This just may be the Congress that chops CPB off at the knees. It
doesn't look to me as though the Teabaggers are Public Broadcasting's P1s.

After very successful attempts to shed the "Liberal" bias
accusations. Vivian Schiller brought it back to NPR in one fell swoop
by firing Williams the way she did. She seems to have a well
developed ability to shoot herself in the foot.

Strangely, I'm told that many NPR stations' local fundraising has
been very successful. Maybe it's a fear of having to listen to
commercial radio.

Rich