[BC] Harris FM10 250 driver

Tom Taggart tpt at literock93r.com
Tue Nov 16 09:12:04 CST 2010

Talking with Nautel at the NAB radio show, they discussed
the possibility of a retro-fit kit to integrate their new VS
series 300 watt into a 10K. Not clear to me whether they
were doing it, or someone else was working on it.

Type acceptance is probably not an issue. The rules allow
modification, so long as you make sure there are no
deleterious effects (e.g., out of band emissions).
Everybody swaps exciters, and there are probably a slew of
2.5K's with the IPA bypassed (the final is 50 Ohm in, making
this easy with a 30 watt or better exciter).

I, too, kind of doubt it will appear as mechanically and
electrically the IPA and PA are designed as one integrated
unit.  More to the point, as solid state transmitter prices
continue to drop, it just doesn't make economic sense to
prolong the life of such an old box.

We have a 22 year old 10K, which still just purrs along.
Just replaced the final after about 6 years with the old
tube, IPA still in good shape & I have a replacement Eimac
tube-in-a-can on the shelf.

However, the VSWR circuit died a while back & would take
major surgery to rebuild (uses obsolete round IC). Control
relays have never been a problem--I built a remote control
interface with 24 volt relays in 1988 that is still in use.
We have a 2.5K as a backup, making it easy to keep the 10 K
clean and make minor repairs. In the event of any major
catastrophe I would probably go shopping for a new
transmitter.