[BC] Harris FM10 250 driver

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 01:37:01 CST 2010

If we're talking about the FM-10K transmitter from Harris, frankly, I wouldn't put a lot of money into one of them. While the tube cavity and output network are sound, the rest of the transmitter is, shall we say, flaky by modern standards. Relay control and monitoring, and the relays are getting hard to come by. The control circuitry is powered by 240 volts--and only fused on one end! Even the overload control potentiometers are obsolete. And the transmitter metering is absolutely pathetic. For instance, the only monitoring of the problematic 4CX300A tube is cathode current. You can't monitor grid current, screen current, screen voltage, nor plate voltage. Even the final PA tube's screen and grid parameters are not metered. One of the worst transmitter designs I've ever seen. The FM-##H model was the same, BTW.

It would be impossible for a SIMPLE retrofit to introduce a SS amplifier into this transmitter, because the IPA output/PA input are directly coupled and not transformed down to 50 ohms in and out. Any such modification would invalidate the transmitters' FCC acceptance, I'm sure.

--
Jerry Mathis