[BC] Harris FM10 250 driver

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Tue Nov 16 06:24:55 CST 2010

  With a SS IPA, the IPA's metering is moot...at least as far as the TX
is concerned.  All you care about are the PA's parameters and an
overload interlock with the new IPA.

The folks I spoke with are looking into a "bolt-on" system which
essentially replaces everything in the IPA cavity with a transforming
and rotating network to allow the 50 ohm system like on the newer TX's.
And yes, they know the transmission line connecting to the PA will be
phase sensitive.

I won't argue the TX's weaker points are it's age and control ladder.
And only a TX whose wiring harness and overall chassis are in good
condition should see this modification.

I would however argue the type certification would remain intact as the
PA and harmonic filtering are not changing.  And because either the
exciter and/or processor would likely be changed, the TX would need to
be re-proofed regardless.  So while the OEM system certification would
be invalidated, the field proof would re-cover that aspect.  Moot point.

MM