[BC] about STL dishes and jumpers

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Fri Nov 12 20:56:14 CST 2010

On Friday 12 November 2010 09:15:56 pm Broadcast List USER wrote:
> I have NEVER seen a Superflex jumper fail.

 I've seen several.
 Enough to recommend against Superflex as a rule, almost
 everywhere. It's OK inside a building.

> I have NEVER seen an LDF-4 jumper fail.

 I've never seen one that hasn't !
 ( maybe, that when I get called it's because something failed ? )

> I have seen more than a few braided jumpers fail.  It is GENERALLY,
> but not always the braid that fails.

 Mostly, they bake out from sunlight, dry out, and the outer
 plastic fails. Following that, moisture ingress signals time
 for a jumper replacement. ( as VSWR creeps up )
 Following THAT, the braid corrodes.
 Of course, the site is WAY past routine inspection at that point.

> Still, I have never allowed
> braided shields on any site I have managed.  The extra shielding keeps
> the noise down.

 I personally like the braid over foil shields for jumpers.
 I advise, then do it your way !
 Your site, your call.

> I have NEVER seen an Andrew solid strap grounding kit fail.

 I've seen a few, but very few.

> I have seen MANY Cablewave braided strap grounding kits fail.

 Corroded braid, yes, usually due to insufficient mastic weather proofing.

> I don't
> care what cable you use, but you are gong to use Andrew grounding kits
> on my sites.

 Personally, I prefer the Andrew #6 stranded cable grounding kits.
 The SGL clip-on series.
 They seem to incorporate the best of all worlds.
 Last, don't crush the cable, not so bulky, quick and easy, and work.

> To each his own, but I try to use LDF-4 for low power jumpers on the
> tower, and Superflex in the building.  I WILL use Superflex on the
> tower, but I prefer the thicker shield of the LDF-4.
>
> OH, and for Superflex, I only use the 1/2 inch.  I can be persuaded to
> use smaller Superflex INSIDE for RECEIVERS.

 I've no problem with Superflex inside a building.

--
Cowboy