[BC] FCC query re AM

Alan Gearing aegearing at tzsawyer.com
Thu Nov 11 01:37:29 CST 2010

Tom,

Even the FCC apparently has trouble understanding PSRA/PSSA issues,
since they don't seem to be able to fix their program to calculate new
authorizations.

Without knowing the particular station, can't give specifics as to why
their PSSA powers are less than their authorized secondary nighttime powers.

One possible explanation is the nighttime power doesn't fully protect
all other stations like its supposed to.  This is not an uncommon
occurrence.  When running nighttime RSS calculations, if the secondary
night facilities of Class D stations are included in the calculation
(which shouldn't normally be done) I almost always find some such
facilities entering into the 25% RSS value (and sometimes even the 50%
RSS) for Class B stations.  The history of secondary nighttime
authorizations (as well as PSRA's and PSSA's) is more than a little
convoluted.  When these secondary nighttime authorizations were first
being issued, in calculating the existing RSS night limits of protected
stations the Commission included contributions from stations that are no
longer included under today's rules and policies.  As a result, the
protected RSS's on which the secondary powers were based were too high
and hence so are the secondary power authorizations if one uses the
criteria in place today.  Also, (I'd have to go back and check the time
line to be sure) but I think the original secondary nighttime
authorizations were issued before the Commission adopted the current 25%
RSS protection criteria and were based on the former less restrictive
50% criteria.

Another possible explanation is that, as you suggest, the PSSA powers
are wrong.  Is the station using the PSRA/PSSA's that were issued by the
FCC in Feb/Mar 2007?  The vast majority of these were wrong (the
specified powers were well below what they should have been) and these
authorizations were rescinded by the Commission a few days after they
were issued.  As a general matter PSSA's specify different power levels
covering 3 time periods.  The 1st time period is for the 1st 1/2 hour
after sunset, the 2nd for the 2nd 1/2 hour and the 3rd for the last hour
of the whole 2 hour post sunset period.  Sometimes one of these basic
time periods is split further giving a total of 4 different power
levels.  This is caused by the way the sunset line travels across the
country and the relative locations of the station with the PSSA and the
protected stations.  The change in the sunset line characteristic is
also why power levels differ month to month.  If calculated correctly
the power level for the last hour normally should be close to that for
regular nighttime operation.  (They don't always match exactly as
slightly different protection criteria are employed.)  If the Class D
station is on a clear channel and the limiting factor is protection to a
Class A station, I can think of a scenario where the permitted power
during the middle time period would be greater than either before or
after, and might also be less than the correctly computed regular
nighttime power.  (Has to do with east coast Class A stations that are
authorized to operate with daytime facilities for a period after local
sunset.)

As for the PSRA, these authorizations are based on significantly
different protection criteria than used for normal nighttime operation.
  As such, these power levels provide no guidance for what might be
permitted for regular nighttime operation.  PSRA powers levels can be
for powers up to the authorized daytime power or 500 watts, whichever is
less.  Hence, if the PSRA power is 500 watts (or daytime power, if less
than 500 watts) there is no limiting station for PSRA purposes, but
there very likely is for regular nighttime operation.

Final comments:  PSSA's don't normally specify the limiting station only
PSRA's do and neither a PSRA or a PSSA would supersede the authorized
nighttime operation.  A station is not required to implement these
authorities, although they are supposed to inform the Commission if they
aren't.

I think I've addressed all your questions, if not ask again.

Regards,

Al Gearing