[BC] FCC query re AM

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 21:13:17 CST 2010

In perusing various stations' licenses, I've run across a puzzler...

Class D AM; listed as licensed to use some power (typically 100 - 150
watts) sunset to sunrise; unlimited-time operation, with a higher day
power (of course);

Here's the kicker - most of the Class D AMs I've looked at ALSO have
PSSAs and PSRAs with some other power specified.

 One in particular, as an example, is a 500-watt station with authorized
night power of 114 watts;

The PSRA allows full day power (500 watts) at 6 AM, which would be cool;
but the PSSA calls for 4 watts, not the previously-authorized 114
watts... 3.29 A into the 50-ohm CP day, and 1.57 N

The really goofy part is, the PSSA allows a 30-minute period at 50 watts
in December and 15 minutes in January - a full HOUR past average sunset!
  Both before and after, the power - according to the PSSA letter - is
supposed to be 4 watts...  There are no limiting stations listed, either...

If that were MY station, I'd be consulting with my Washington Lawyer to
get that clarified...

And while I realize no-one here is (or will admit it, anyway) a lawyer...

Thoughts and opinions?  Would the PSRA/PSSA supersede the actual license?

Second question - given the PSRA allows the full day facilities and
shows no limiting station, what are the odds that the station could be
converted to Class B with 500 watts full-time (DA-1)?

--
Tom Spencer
PG-18-25453 (nee' P1-18-48841)