[BC] The Return of Improper Use of EAS Tones

Larry Fuss lfuss2 at cox.net
Tue Nov 9 07:59:06 CST 2010

> Now, if they are duck-farts, AND they actually decode into something, then
it becomes a very risky premise indeed.

As everyone here knows, the "duck farts" are data bursts that contain header
information for an alert.  That header contains the date, the time, the
duration of the alert, the originator and the FIPS code(s) the alert applies
to  It's highly unlikely anything we hear in an ad would contain enough
accurate information in the data burst to actually trigger an alert.  What
you're hearing is just random audio meant to sound like an EAS alert.  I
would agree that it might "de-sensitive" the public if they heard such
things repeatedly in a non-emergency situation.  However, if your EAS unit
actually decodes one of these pseudo alerts as a real valid alert, I'd think
you probably have EAS equipment problems.

Larry Fuss