[BC] Chicago Generators

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Nov 2 22:40:42 CDT 2010

I own and love a Honda EU-2000i generator.  I found a great price on
the Internet, then beat up two or three local dealers.  All three were
willing to meet the price, but only one had the gen-set in stock, so
they got the deal.

I don't use Sta-Bil in the generator.  I fuel it, then when I am
through with it, I run it empty, then put about a cup of white gas
(Coleman fuel) in it, and run it empty again.  I used to remove the
bowl and clean and dry the fuel system, but I hate getting up close
and personal with gasoline.

I doubt the Honda EU-2000i will run a 1 kW transmitter, plus the other
critical secondary equipment.  The EU-3000i might.

The beauty thing about the Honda units is that you can parallel them,
so you can get one inverter sets at 1, 2, and 3 kW, and two generator
powers of 2, 4, and 6 kW.

The thing I don't know is how well the generator(s) will live with the
bouncy demand of a program modulated AM transmitter.  My Honda
EU-2000i runs all my UPSs, all my computers and networking, my TVs,
and my refrigerator and chest freezer, plus most lights.  HOWEVER, I
cannot operate the Honda EU-2000i in the economy mode with the
refrigerator.  When the compressor comes on, the generator stops.  It
doesn't trip a breaker, it just brings the engine to a halt.  I have
to manually control the refrigerator.  I put the generator on "Full"
instead of economy, then plug in the refrigerator.  Once the
compressor starts, I switch the generator back to economy, then once I
hear the speed drop -- when the compressor stops -- I unplug the
refrigerator.  I could leave the generator on full, but I would burn a
LOT more gas.

If the load swings are not large compared to the load, you may be OK.
I can plug in a 1.5 kW space heater, and a few other loads, and the
refrigerator doesn't cause any problems.

You may find the generator works fine powering the transmitter when on
full, but not on economy.  This may not be a big deal, and if the
generator(s) is/are sized to just over what is needed, you won't be
burning EXTRA gasoline.

One thing that MIGHT work, if you need 4 or 6 kW, is to run one
generator on full, and the second on economy.  I don't know as I have
never tried it.

--chip