[BC] Lead acid batteries.

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Tue Nov 2 16:52:19 CDT 2010

> Why Harold, did not you were into an electric car! Mine is a VW
> (Volts-waggon) about 8 or 9 years old view at:
>
> The converter is more like a trickle charger. I did not have the money to go with a nice
> monitor system like you.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Groome

Actually, the car was built by my former employer, and I did the battery
monitor system for him. For accessory power, we just used a universal
input AC switching supply. The high voltage DC went right through the
rectifiers to the bulk capacitor, just as though it were rectified AC.
This was a DC switcher without a power factor controller in front. I
imagine that would still work with PFC in front.

I don't remember exactly how many batteries were in the string, but it
worked out that we could charge with rectified AC line. We used one, two,
or three SCRs (single phase 120V, single phase 240V with neutral, and 3
phase Y) as switched rectifiers. The output of the rectifiers went through
a constant current regulator (a big light bulb), then to the battery
string. The previously mentioned battery monitor would shut down the SCRs
when we started running bypass current on one of the batteries. It would
later bring it up again until we got bypass current again. The big light
bulb, besides serving as a constant current "ballast lamp" served as a
charge state indicator. If it was really bright, the batteries were pretty
low and being charged.

That car was a Fiat and eventually mechanically fell apart. The parts have
been salvaged, and he's getting ready to start another electric car.

Harold