[BC] AC Voltage Drop

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Mon Jun 29 00:18:43 CDT 2009

I don't recall a specification for service voltage at the primary service
disconnect other than the equipment must be rated for that service class.

The spec. for what is an acceptable service range typically comes from the
local/state regulators. Also, the utility is not bound by NEC.  They have
their own code to conform.  So what you might expect a 3/0 THHN for 200A
service might be really 1/0 between the X-former and the meter.

Depending on the cable type, the cable can and will make a difference on
that distance.  In Illinois, if there is a question about the voltage
drop, the customer can install a heavier than normal cable. But they must
pay for it.

MM