[BC] AC Voltage Drop

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Jun 29 06:13:40 CDT 2009

Utility companies don’t care about any codes including local codes. That’s why they can use 12.5 kV feeds using insulators designed for the original 2300 V around-town distribution. When my service was “upgraded” from a 60 A 4-fuse service to a 200A CB box, the drop from the pole was not changed. It remains #8 phosphor bronze, which gets hot when my clothes drier runs. The utility company refuses to change it claiming everything is “temporary,” and will be redone in a year to two. The word, “temporary” is used by utility companies as a license to do anything they want. Do a Google search for “Unitil” and see what I mean.

Any three-phase feed to your facility needs to be a closed delta or closed wye. The wye is useful because you don’t need to make your own 120 V using dry-type transformers. Delta is nice because it provides good balance. However, you need to use a transformer to generate 120/240, which puts your entire LV panel on one incoming leg.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/