[BC] AC Voltage Drop

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Sun Jun 28 18:21:44 CDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Chris Gebhardt wrote:

> They planted a new pole & 3x new transformers.  (We moved to 208
> 3phase).

Broadcasters or anyone else with a significant infrastructure should:

1) seek 120/208 Y or 277/480 Y services, and

2) develop any 120, 120/240 or 240 from their service, using customer-
owned "dry-type" distribution transformers.

> One thing the engineer who led our project mentioned was that there
> isn't a lot of demand for 240 Delta these days, and the equipment
> in use
> for such supplies is typically quite a bit older and not as well
> maintained.   Sort of "forgotten infrastructure" I guess.

120/240 Æ , which can supply 120 single-phase loads over only two of
the three incoming phases, 120/240 single-phase loads over the same,
or 240 single-phase loads over any two of the incoming phases is the
most common three-phase service.

120/208 Y has an advantage that all three incoming phases can provide
120 single-phase, while any two plus the neutral can provide 120/208
single-phase is the second most common three-phase service.

277/480 Y has an advantage that all three incoming phases can provide
277 single-phase (for, say, gas-discharge lighting) is the second
most common three-phase service. 277 volts is seldom useful
otherwise, although some manufacturers make certain machinery for 277
single-phase.

Some modern transmitter manufacturers go even farther, demanding true
three-phase in the form of a set of three transformers, rather than
the more modern "T Transformer" method (two transformers of
dissimilar capacities within a single can in a "Scott T" connection,
but providing three-phase transformation, with or without a neutral)
with capacities up to 333 KVA.

The NEC establishes rules for use within a premises.

Electric utilities are generally exempt from the NEC.

Which certainly explains why we often see service drops which are
very undersized for the customer's load.

Apparently, the utilities assume a low duty cycle, such as 20
percent, as a first cut appraisal of a customer.