[BC] RFR Rule Question

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Tue Jun 23 14:30:38 CDT 2009

Jeff,

There is a thing called "Quiet Enjoyment".  It's a common term used in
leases.  But it's not commonly applied to property ownership.

In the case here, if I was a property owner prior to the purchase of an
adjoining parcel by someone who decides to do something which I don't
agree, the late comer is possibly disturbing my Quiet Enjoyment. Eg. I'm a
peaceful guy and a drag strip is built on the adjoining parcel.

Zoning is designed to avoid incomptabile land uses from occuring.  And
frankly, I have attended zoning hearings in opposition to certain projects
which would have disrupted the character of the location in which it was
planned. There were better more suitable locations. (traffic congestion,
etc.)

Taking your tact and turning it around, if I was the long time resident
and you created a "nuisnace" after moving in and you told ME to GFO and
move, you'd be served with a summons to appear and show cause on how you
are not disrupting quiet enjoyment.

MM