[BC] DTV Audio Levels

Robert Orban rorban at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 16:53:33 CDT 2009

At 05:37 AM 6/15/2009, Rich Wood wrote:
>------ At 08:23 AM 6/15/2009, Cowboy wrote: -------
>
>>  This one is bigger than radio guys can ( at first ) imagine !
>>  Not only is there reluctance, but that reluctance is entirely justified.
>>  First, you have to un-embed the audio. Then, you correct the level.
>
>I don't think it's a radio vs. TV guys thing.
>Very simply it's listener/viewer fatigue and
>irritation. Viewers don't give a damn how it's
>done. All that matters is that they enjoy the
>experience and stay tuned. Years ago, when the
>FCC got involved, complaints weren't about bad
>pictures. They were about loud commercials. Now
>we have extremely loud commercials, some in
>Dolby Digital 5.1. This time the FCC probably
>won't get involved if there's no fine attached.
>It's not a profit center. A TV station will be
>less of a profit center if viewing falls off or
>a local advertiser gets no results because his spot has been zapped..

Rep. Echoo has introduced a bill in Congress to
regulate loud commercials, which means that the
FCC may get involved, although in fact it is
already against FCC Rules to run excessively loud
commercials. I recently sent her the following letter:

It has come to my attention that you have
introduced H.R. 6209, otherwise known as the
Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act.
According to the press material I saw, the bill
would require the Federal Communications
Commission to "prescribe a standard to preclude
commercials from being broadcast at louder
volumes than the program they accompany."

I am Vice President and Chief Engineer of
Orban/CRL a company that manufactures automatic
loudness controllers for television. Although the
company is based in Arizona, our main R&D
facility is here in the Bay Area, in San Leandro.

While I would ordinarily be delighted to see any
government action that would help us sell our
products, the fact is that your proposed bill,
like any other attempting to proscribe loud
commercials, must have a clear, provable
technical metric that determines whether a given
broadcaster is in violation. Absent this, one has
a nightmare scenario like that currently
surrounding "obscenity" and "indecency"
regulations-is a broadcaster guilty or not
guilty? Whether one is talking about porn or loud
commercials, claims of "knowing when one sees it
or hears it" are insufficient to make good law.

"Loudness" is not simple. Loudness is subjective:
it is the intensity of sound as perceived by the
ear/brain system. No simple meter provides a
reading that correlates well to perceived
loudness. A meter that purports to measure
loudness must agree with a panel of human
listeners. Moreover, listening tests have
established that different listeners perceive loudness differently.

The literature on loudness measurement stretches
back to at least the 1920s, with work first done
at Bell Laboratories by Fletcher, Munson, and
Snow. There are many different techniques that
attempt to measure loudness with electronic
hardware, three of which have become
international standards. None of these three
standards fully agrees when they are used to
measure the loudness of material commonly broadcast.

To illustrate the complexity and difficulty of
the question, I have enclosed a fairly recent
research paper (from 2004) addressing the issue:
Esben Skovenborg & Søren H. Nielsen, "Evaluation
of Different Loudness Models with Music and
Speech Material." This paper is technical and
understanding it requires a background in
electrical engineering and statistics. However,
any intelligent nonprofessional reading it should
get a sense of how difficult it would be to
determine objectively if a broadcaster is in fact
in violation of the proposed limits in H.R. 6209.
(The 101 references at the end of the paper are
the best collection I know of for those
interested in fully understanding the subject.)

The broadcast industry, both in North America and
Europe, is well aware of the problem of loudness
consistency in broadcasts. There are many
competing products and techniques that purport to
deal with it. All of the major U.S. television
networks have studied the problem and are in the
process of implementing measures to mitigate it.
The International Telecommunications Union (ITU-R
WP6P SRG3) is also working on the problem.

There are two main approaches to the problem. The
first, promulgated by Dolby Laboratories,
includes "metadata" in digital audio streams.
This "data about the data" indicates the level of
normal speech in the program and provides means
for the listener to reduce the dynamic range (the
range between quiet and loud material) at the
receiver if she wishes. However, the fully
dynamic range of the original sound mix can be
enjoyed by a different listener if she desires.

While the Dolby method is elegant and would
appear to offer all things to all people,
implementing it through the entire broadcast
chain has proven to be very challenging. Ideally,
the program originator should create the metadata
and this should be passed, unchanged, through the
entire broadcast chain to the listener's
receiver. In practice, there are three main
limitations. First, the broadcast chain is very
long and complex, so it is not easy to retain the
Dolby metadata all the way from a Hollywood
mixing studio to a TV listener in the Midwest.
Second, a considerable amount of material in a
typical broadcast was never authored with Dolby
metadata (such as reruns of TV shows from the
'70s). Third, there is a temptation for
commercial producers to game the system by
authoring metadata that makes their commercial
just a little bit louder than everyone else's.
This makes it essential for broadcasters to
review all material before it is broadcast to
make sure that the metadata is "honest" and
reauthor it as necessary. Dolby Labs manufactures
equipment to do this automatically for a TV
station's library (usually located on computer
hard drives these days), but even if broadcasters
purchase this equipment, it cannot be used with
live news and sports and the broadcaster is at
the mercy of Dolby's philosophy of loudness
measurement (all normal spoken dialog should be
equally loud), which does not take into account
material like loud sound effects or music.

The second approach to solving the problem is to
reduce the dynamic range of program material by
capping subjective short-term loudness to a
preset level. This is the philosophy behind my
company's products. While this removes the large
dynamic range that some home theater aficionados
love, the upside is that this guarantees a
consistent, smooth, and easy-on-the-ears
presentation with no extra work on the part of broadcasters.

There is another, more subtle limitation to this
approach: subjective loudness is limited to a
preset threshold. Therefore, if the program
material preceding a given commercial is very
quiet (rustling leaves for example), then the
commercial might still seem too loud. One might
first think that the commercial should be turned
down to a loudness lower than the threshold. But
what of the succeeding commercials in the
cluster? And what if the program material
following the cluster in substantially louder
than the cluster's final commercial? For these
reasons, we believe that it is best to not
attempt to understand context because there is
usually no practical way to know the context at
the end of the commercial break.

In my opinion, combining subtle dynamic range
compression with capping loudness to a preset threshold works well.

My point is this: an issue that might seem simple
to the layperson is not simple at all. Your
perception of loudness may not be identical to
your neighbor's perception. Moreover, loudness
and annoyance are not identical perceptual
constructs. (Annoyance has been studied since at
least the mid 1960s, mostly in the context jet aircraft noise around airports.)

The broadcast industry is well aware that it has
a problem and is working on solutions, some of
which have already been implemented. This is an
ideal example of "let the marketplace work"
because TV broadcasters do not want to lose
viewers who are irritated by excessive loudness.
I believe that this legislation is unnecessary
and that it will ultimately do nothing more than
transfer more of the nation's wealth into the
pockets of attorneys. So I urge you to let the industry sort the problem out.