[BC] Your favorite TieLine

Jason R. jyrussell at academicplanet.com
Mon Jun 8 12:13:17 CDT 2009

All of my consoles are old BE10's or really old. LPB SignatureIII, for
instance.

  LPB has a summed mono out which I can pick off... or I could just send
them program audio out to the field.
Same thing, one's just summed mono.

  I tried this with a VoIP rig, where we're pushing straight audio around,
basically an IP telephone with the handset replaced by a small mix board and
in/out audio amps.  Use a router and Air Card plus a small mackie on site...
just the IP phone and small audio amps on the wall at the studio.  It does
work.
Works best if you keep it simple.

Well... they wanted IFB and all that as well.   Ok.   I put a Henry box in
the line studio end.
Program on one side, Caller on the other, set the null up so one signal or
the other 'wins'.
Usually so that there's a program signal available to send to the remote -
UNLESS/UNTIL - they talk (or send any sort of useful signal from the remote
site)... then they squash the program signal they're hearing..

I tried it the other way around, send the finished mix / minus to the board.
either way, it's  tough to get set, and really really dependant on how hard
the remote talent drove their equipment.  Couldn't get talent to set levels
the same every time... and if the board op doesn't pay attention things can
sound really weird really quickly.
I didn't put any old  Gentner phone hybrids or such in the line as I figure
they're going to limit the audio to <3k... back to the phone line sound.

 I'm thinking about pulling a feed off the back of a mic processor and
adding a switch for the operator.
Push it (or toggle it or whatever) and talk to them on remote, off air...
I'd like it to be a bit more elegant, but, I also want it really dependable
no matter what goes on out in the field.

Jason