[BC] Your favorite TieLine

Lloyd Collins lloydc at regionalradio.com
Mon Jun 8 11:43:50 CDT 2009

Jason,

We use a bunch of Tieline systems for sports. I go along with the
recommendation to use a mix minus for the return audio to the remote
location. If your console has an audition or mono bus that can be
selected simultaneously with program, you have an easy mix minus. Just
make sure the operators don't send the input incoming from the Tieline
back to the remote on that output bus. One other thing you might like is
the ability to hook an inexpensive mic to one of the inputs on the
studio end and have an easy intercom to the folks at the remote end.

The Tieline does give you  bi-directional, simultaneous, quality audio
paths. The absolute quality of the audio depends on the data rate that
can be achieved over the POTS circuit you have, of course. Even at the
lowest rates, it is pretty good. Our experience has been that the POTS
line connection is best if it is a real POTS line direct to the
Tielines. Going through pbx's and so on can be a lot of trouble. In our
experience, if you get an initial connection on a pbx based system,
beware of data loss dropouts etc. Also good to make sure the wiring to
your phone jack is not  "bridged". At one of the universities that had
school-owned lines on campus, they had paralleled the lines that went to
us at the football stadium and the gym. Tieline hated that extra piece
of unterminated wire hanging on the line! We asked the school's telco
guys connect the incoming line  to only the extension we need and things
went smoothly after that.

The newer ones, later G3's and newer, have ethernet  built in. I've been
experimenting with that using a Ubiquiti 5Ghz wireless system. So far,
the results are good. I want to use it for stereo remotes around town
where we can get a decent path for the 5Ghz radios.

Best of luck with your set-up.

Lloyd