[BC] Re: Assistance With A DVD VCR Machine

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 11:08:39 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Harold Hallikainen
<harold at hallikainen.com>wrote:

> Since the major application of VCRs was time shifting television programs,
> the lack of a tuner seems to really limit the application of these
> devices. I did look at DVD/VCR devices a few weeks ago at Best Buy. A DVD
> player was something like $25. A VCR/DVD without a tuner was about $100. A
> VCR/DVD with a tuner was about $250. Seems like a lot of money for a tuner
> and modulator.
>
> -----------------

Yes, really.  I just bought another Zenith converter box at Sears for $9.99
after using my gov't coupon.  I went to Best Buy to see about the Insignia
box, which is made by LG, same as the Zenith.  They said they had been out
of stock for 3 months and tried to palm off an Apex on me.  The reviews I
read on the Apex said it was junk; never mind the S-video output and "smart
antenna" jack.  RadioShack has the Digital Stream unit, which apparently
uses the same tuner as the Zenith/Insignia but Consumer Reports says the
picture quality isn't all that good.  Wal-Mart has the Magnavox box at a
decent price, but the reviews on it are only so-so.  I don't have any info
on the Craig box sold at CVS Pharmacy, and as it is $59.95 and Sears had the
Zenith (which I know is good) for $49.99 I went with that.