[BC] Assistance With A DVD VCR Machine

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Jun 7 10:42:03 CDT 2009

> Most VCRs and DVD recorders now no longer feature a built-in TV tuner or
> RF modulator.  When the FCC began requiring all new TV sets to include
> digital tuners, this requirement covered *all* devices with TV reception,
> including VCRs and even radios that receive TV audio.  But rather than go
> through the expense of adding a digital tuner, most makers opted to simply
> delete the TV tuner entirely.  They also took the opportunity to delete
> the RF modulator as well, due to the declining use of older TV sets which
> only have an RF antenna input.

Since the major application of VCRs was time shifting television programs,
the lack of a tuner seems to really limit the application of these
devices. I did look at DVD/VCR devices a few weeks ago at Best Buy. A DVD
player was something like $25. A VCR/DVD without a tuner was about $100. A
VCR/DVD with a tuner was about $250. Seems like a lot of money for a tuner
and modulator.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com