[BC] Assistance With A DVD VCR Machine

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 01:19:55 CDT 2009

Tom Dimeo wrote:
> Is it possible that Magnavox would have made the machine with
> a coaxial cable input and output then remove them in later
> models but not changing anything else including the manual?

Most VCRs and DVD recorders now no longer feature a built-in TV tuner or RF modulator.  When the FCC began requiring all new TV sets to include digital tuners, this requirement covered *all* devices with TV reception, including VCRs and even radios that receive TV audio.  But rather than go through the expense of adding a digital tuner, most makers opted to simply delete the TV tuner entirely.  They also took the opportunity to delete the RF modulator as well, due to the declining use of older TV sets which only have an RF antenna input.

And yes, I have seen DVD/VCR combos which include knockout plugs on the back panel, where the RF in/out coax connectors used to be.  I bet if you looked inside one of these, you'd still see the circuit board area for the tuner and RF modulator, just with all the components missing!