[BC] M aybe an alogue is better

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Mon Jun 22 01:28:11 CDT 2009

Nope, I don't get it, though maybe it is because I either did stuff
myself, or worked in major markets.

I have NEVER seen a pro video camera that used Infrared for focusing.
NEVER!  I cannot reasonable say they never existed, because I have not
handled everything, but I have never seen a single one.

In the consumer still camera range, I have seen 1960s STILL cameras
that used ULTRASONIC focusing.  Frankly, I never saw anything buy
Polaroid Instant cameras, but again, I didn't have my hands on
everything.  Still, the SX-70 cameras were pretty successful, and even
my Dad, who had an original Land camera had one.  He was the king of
instant film, and I look forward to giving him a Mac and a Nikon
consumer camera before August is out.

I have never shot or owned the Cannon system, but I am told they never
used Infrared by those who do.  I compete with Cannon users, but I
don't know why they would LIE to me!

I have used professional still cameras since the 60s, and film "movie"
cameras since the same time.  I have NEVER seen a pro or semi-pro
camera that used infrared focusing.  In fact, I have NEVER seen ANY
camera that uses Infrared for focusing,  NEVER!  I am not saying they
don't exist, but in my universe, they have not existed.

Since the early 2000s, I have seen a move from ultrasonic in the
consumer world to "edge detection."  This has been the method in the
pro world for a long time.  Those were very inexpensive cameras.

The CCDs in the camera look to "line up" the edges to set the focus --
well 10 years ago.

NOW, they look at the entire CCD, or CMOS image, or most of it, and
line up the edges.  This is kind of new, but not that new.

My Nikon F5 FILM cameras did it, even though it wasn't part of the
image collection process.

My D1, first generation professional digital camera did it, and did it
really well.

My D1x did it even better.

I skipped a few generations, but my D3 does it REALLY well, and over
as many places on the image I could ever want, plus some.

It is not ultrasonic, and it certainly isn't Infrared.

Same for the various video cameras I have used, from Bell & Howell, to
Cannon to Sony.  None have been consumer, but NONE have used Infrared.

While I don't spend a lot of time in markets smaller than Dayton, OH,
and live in Washington, DC, I have NEVER seen what you have
described.  I have never seen focus hunting (other than a camera
operator doing it MANUALLY in a live shot).  In fact, I have NEVER
seen an ENG photographer use autofocus -- NEVER.  They set up the
camera on a tripod, set the focus, and stand in front of it!  They
don't even have a cameraman, but they don't use autofocus!   I would
never do it myself.  Set the focus on the thing I am capturing.  Set
the focus on the talent.  I have never seen a one person crew use auto
focus.  I just don't get it.

What am I missing?  No, I don't "get it now."

Tell me where I can tune it to see this awful thing!

--chip