[BC] Studio Furniture

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 12:47:55 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Stevan A. White <w5saw at pathwayz.com> wrote:

> The last couple of studios I've built are outfitted with modular office
> furniture from Office Depot or Office Max.  <SNIP> Another
> option is trade-out with a local cabinetmaker or remodeling contractor.

--------------

Yes, the office furniture will work if you are really in a budget crunch.  I
have also, at a couple of stations, drawn up specs for control-room
furniture and had local cabinetmakers put it together.  Another option is
off-the shelf stuff from Argosy.  It's made in Missouri and shipped to
recording studios all over the world.  Literally.  At KHCS I ordered the
Dual-15 workstation, http://www.argosyconsole.com/argosy_dual15.html with
the 847 modules on the side for the mic processors, CD players, effects
unit, etc., put the near-field monitors on top, and put the board in the
middle.  I spent a little extra for the walnut end panels, as I wanted the
place to be somewhat impressive for guests.  A short Spire dual rack on the
side accomodated the satellite receiver, DA's, automation computer, etc.
Again, a bit more expensive than Raxxess but a lot less than the usual
broadcast furniture.  Sorry Rod Graham, Dennis Murphy, et al., but I had to
save money somewhere without looking like a total cheapskate.  The intervew
table was, as I mentioned before, a regular bow-front desk that you can find
at Office Despot or other places; the high-back, black partially-leather
chairs were $30 each, on sale at Rite-Aid.  I wanted track lighting on a
dimmer to light up the board, and had a ceiling fan with a light kit put
over the interview table.  I wanted a more "homey" feel to the room to put
our guests more at ease.  We splurged a little and found an imported black
leather couch for $600 so that any guests that our interviewees brought
along could be comfortable while they watched the proceedings.  The room
came out looking quite attractive and I wouldn't mind doing something
similar in the future.  I think that traditional studio layouts come off as
looking too severe and not having a comfortable feel to them.