[BC] Studio Furniture

Stevan A. White w5saw at pathwayz.com
Sat Jun 20 10:39:02 CDT 2009

The last couple of studios I've built are outfitted with modular office
furniture from Office Depot or Office Max.  Since it's modular you can
create pretty much any configuration you like by mixing pieces.
Keyboard trays and pencil drawers are a necessity in any studio these
days and that's standard fare for this type furniture.  It's fitted with
wiring access for computers so wiring is easy, easy, easy.  One of the
brands even had a "cable tray" just under the top surface.  I beefed it
up with some inexpensive brackets and it's great.  Best feature: the
price.  It beats the studio furniture prices hands down.  You're a hero
with station management and the bean-counter as long as you show them
prices for the other stuff.  If you want racks you have to be content
with the Raxxess of Middle Atlantic laminate veneered stuff or get rack
rails and adapt pieces of the office furniture if you want it to match.
This is good for sit-down only.  I've looked at some of the modular
kitchen cabinets from Lowe's and Home Depot for stand-up furniture but
decided it would involve a lot more work than I wanted to put into a
studio even though I'm a pretty fair handyman.  I prefer to be either a
handyman or a broadcast engineer but not necessarily both on the same
job.  But, like most of you, the lines are often blurred.  Another
option is trade-out with a local cabinetmaker or remodeling contractor.
Good luck!T

Best Regards,
Stevan A. White, W5SAW