[BC] Tieline Expert---

Jason R. jyrussell at academicplanet.com
Thu Jun 18 22:47:09 CDT 2009

Hi all...
I think Kevin is the guy I'm looking for, here...

I've received a Tieline rig that has to be set up - quick.
A field unit with G3 card, and one with ethernet/pots etc.

I've got DSL and T1 service available... the DSL is the best choice as I can
have all the traffic off that network for duration of the remote if need be.
(Not so on the T1)  I"ve seen folks brag they could even get good quality
off a dial up on these things...

  On my DSL router... I've got my static WAN IP, my routers LAN IP, I assign
fixed IP's off this router for all the PC's, but leave the DHCP running...
for discovery purposes, and for temporary hookups (like my guest laptop,
etc.)  Assigning a fixed IP for the Tieline unit on the studio end should be
no sweat... if I can get it to see the router...

Ok, off we go.
  I plug in the studio tieline (which is actually a second field unit) and
proceed trying to find some way to get it to get an addy from the router...
no luck.  I try looking for it in the router tables... no luck... I'm not
seeing really what I'm looking for in the quick start guide or the online
video...

  I can hit a spot in the menus that tells me I can type in my IP... but
can't actually get it to input any numbers.
  Thought crosses my mind that the borrowed Cat6 jumper may be some sort of
Xover...

  I need to get this rig running asap Friday evening and set up for an
autoconnect on Sat AM.  I can't physically be on site for the event...

(I will have about a half hour Friday night to set up both the studio and
field end -on G3- and prove it out. for a Saturday AM remote. which I will
not be onsite to help with.)

  !
Any tips you can pass along will help immensely.

Jason