[BC] Motorola PTP Ethernet Bridge

Mark Garrett ka9szx at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:45:21 CDT 2009

Hi Larry:

I am using the older Motorola Orthogon (PTP 400) series that uses CAT 5 from the bridge down to the POE.  Not sure if you will be sending fiber up as well to the bridge with this setup but if radio uses the CAT 5 for communications be sure and get shielded CAT 5 for your run as you will be near strong RF fields.  Also have riggers be particular about mounting CAT 5 cable to tower, go no more than 36' between straps and not too tight when securing, you do not want to break wires. For added protection, you may want to run the CAT 5 and possible fiber in conduit for the run to keep it UV protected and not wind whipped.

You should specify when doing your path study that you need minimum reliability out to five 9's (99.999%) and you should not be shooting thru any foliage.

I am sure others will comment about antennas and path but this should be a start.

Mark Garrett, KA9SZX ka9szx at hotmail.com