[BC] Arbitron

Bob Stroupe bstroupe at peoplepc.com
Thu Jul 23 06:03:49 CDT 2009

Gary:

We took a somewhat different tact to installation of the encoders.  At first we had them at the xmitters but found that that was less than optimum due to power issues, temperature sensitivity, must visit the transmitter to see & resolve problems, etc.  We have a main and back-up STL feed with a separate encoder on each.  For other feeds that might reach the transmitter (ISDN, RPU back-up, POTS codec back-up, satellite), we installed a DA just after the primary encoder and take the audio from that.  I do have one tertiary encoder at a transmitter as we have a small emergency studio at our PEP station, KTRH.  Whatever your installation preference, you need to insure that the back-up encoder can be switched on the air quickly.

Bob Stroupe