[BC] Networks.

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:53:03 CDT 2009

AP and UPI previously didn't ID their networks; (AP does now, and has
for quite some time, though)

Most nets ID at least their full long-form and short-form newscasts,
although their reporters may or may not ID their package cuts and
actualities...

IIRC, stations had to pay for the last mile loop in most markets, so
some stations probably sounded better than others on the same network.

The mass move to satellite delivery made it easier, not necessarily
cheaper, to distribute network feeds.

IIRC, transponder time for a dual-channel SCPC feed in the mid 80's was
around $50k / month per channel for  8 kHz audio bandwidth.

cost per affiliate goes down, because the receive side is a one-time
capital expense, rather than a continuing lease charge.

Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> It must've been fun to get audio to 250 stations. I wonder what that cost.
> Nowadays, it's a LOT cheaper for satellite or Internet.
>
> On telephone line based networks, I remember a couple networks from the
> eraly 1970s. One was a California news network that used 8kHz or better
> phone lines. It really sounded like they were in the studio. It was MUCH
> better than ABC and others were distributing for news. They also never
> identified the network. It sounded like a very high quality local
> newscast.
snip

--
Tom Spencer