[BC] Birds and towers

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Fri Jul 17 20:24:11 CDT 2009

What no one has figured out yet is the loading done to towers when these
stupid things are added.  RISA doesn't factor bird diverters in any
manner. Until this most current version, the program didn't factor johny
balls.  The designer needed to manually calculate the added loads to the
guy lines.

What the !@#$%^&* avian community doesn't get is when towers ice up, these
things will fall/break off.  And then hit some bird watcher on the head.

I spent a full year dealing with USFW and US Army Corp or Eng. "enforcing"
their "guidelines" by holding our project hostage until agreeing to add
the diverters.

All I can say is DON'T BUILD ANYTHING IN A FLOOD PLAIN OR WETLAND OR YOU
WILL BE FORCED TO USE DIVERTERS!!!!!!!!!!

MM