[BC] Turntable Pickups...

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 12:24:32 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Burt I. Weiner <biwa at att.net> wrote:

> The best cartridges I ever heard were made by B&O.  I forget the
> model but I used them at KFAC.  The problem with them was that you
> could bend the shaft by merely staring at them, but they sounded
> great.  The Stantons were the next best thing to the B&O's.

Yes, B&O..  At KREO, I used one of their Model 50 ribbon mics.  Great mic, I
think I paid $50 for it.  The Royer is kind of based on the B&O design.
Anyway, as to pickups, I liked the sound of the Ortofons but they had to be
sent back to the factory to get the stylus replaced, and that made them
impractical in the control room.  But, I found the Audio-Technica AT-35HE, a
moving-coil pickup with a normal output level, replaceable stylus, and a
reasonable price.  I used those for quite awhile.  Used the Technics SL-1100
and SL-1200 TTs with them.  Too bad they're no longer being made.  The
AT-35HE, that is.