[BC] Silly engineer tricks

Mike Murrell engineermike at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 15 23:03:39 CDT 2009

When I was younger (16) I built a very large speaker setup that I used as a
sound system for parties.  The cabinets were 5'H X 3.5' wide (Yes that is
feet LOL)  Anyway there were 21 speakers in each cabinet and it was wired at
4 ohms and could really heat up an amp if you weren't careful. LOL  Anyway
later in life (18) a guy in the apartment below me would blast music at all
hours day and night while he worked out or partied.  I and my roommate got
tired of asking him to turn it down so we went and pulled the speakers and
amps out of storage and we carried these monsters in and put them face down
on the floor and wired everything up.  Wasn't long he started so we started
as well. He went louder so we went louder. He went what had to be wide open
and I went to half.  He turned his down and then there was a pounding on our
door.  We opened the door and he started yelling that he couldn't hear his
music to work out and we explained that we had told him before that we
couldn't hear our TV when he worked out.  He said to bad and I said was that
all your system had and he gave me that huh? look so I said is that as loud
as your system will go and he said why.  I invited him in to see the
speakers and amps and explained that I had only hit about 50% and wasn't
afraid to go as loud as necessary.  I gave him an example at about 30% they
were sitting up and facing him at this point and he said ok ok you win.  LOL
We never had another issue and it wasn't long he moved out.
Not the same but close and before my radio engineering days.  LOL
Mike