[BC] Silly engineer tricks

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:30:58 CDT 2009

In the audio domain, not RF - I had a neighbor like that - I was working
sign-off at WTHR at the time -

Idiot downstairs insisted on waking up to the most horrendous
cacophonous head banging stuff you can imagine - and his alarm went off
JUST as I was getting fully dropped off to sleep at around 4:30-ish.

Other neighbors had also remonstrated with him, but it was particularly
annoying to the Ch. 13 sign off engineer...

Hmm

I have this nice 250w/ch stereo system - components, none of this
integrated receiver stuff... Tuner, selector, graphic equalizer,
turntable...

Including this nice TEAC 3300SX2T deck...

And a recording of the 1812 Overture, featuring, if I recall rightly,
Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra - with cannon fire
courtesy the secondary batteries of the USS New Jersey, I believe -
might have been the Missouri - it's been a while since I've had either
the tape or the LP out...

Tape is at 15 ips, full fidelity (first pass across the turntable onto
the reel...)

I also have this nice timer....

11:05 PM - I have an alibi - I'm behind Camera 2 at the studio...  seven
witnesses, including Bob Gregory, the (in)famous weather guy here in Indy.

Timer starts tape

Volume at 75%

Bass at +12dB

The cannons rattled the windows, according to reports the next morning.

Statute of limitations has expired on this one <grin> - the upshot (BAD
pun!) being that we never had any more headbanger music at 4:30 AM

Broadcast List USER wrote:
> That reminds me.  I ONCE HEARD (because I would have nothing to do
> with this) of some guys at the Mutual Broadcasting System who had two
> Boonton signal generators.
snip

--
Tom Spencer