[BC] 1950s' transistor radios

Brew brew at theMode.com
Wed Jul 15 08:36:52 CDT 2009

> I learned that I could connect some wire to the oscillator tuning
> capacitor and transmit a signal that would cause my sister's
> radio to squeal. I got caught and my radio was taken away --forever.

Funny thing, in 1973 when I was a Test and Field Service guy at CCA in
Gloucester City for some reason there was always factory wide
interference on the reception of the country and talk radio stations,
only the FM rock stations had good reception on the factory floor.

Interesting that a Boonton Grid Dip Oscillator radiated better around
the plant than a 20 kW FM transmitter under test.  Of course, the
transmitters were tested into 3 1/8 line through the harmonic filter
into a completely shielded water cooled 50 Ohm dummy load.   The
Boonton GDO was, um....., a much better radiator.

brew  Bruce Schiller at CBS-TV NY Master Control Maintenance and WA2ZST