[BC] 1950s' transistor radios

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky at prodigy.net
Tue Jul 14 13:39:50 CDT 2009

When I was in high school we had Eico RF signal
generators in the electronics shop. I bought one at
a store in Bridgeport, CT since I did a lot of work
on TV's and radios. Yes, I was a TV repairman in
my junior and senior HS years. I still have some Eico
and Heathkit gear I assembled and still use them!

One day I saw the elder woman across the street
by her TV. She was changing channels. Back in the
day we had fine tuning. I hooked up the Eico RF
cable to our screen door and tuned it near 60 MHz
as I could see she had channel 3 on. I was able to
make the woman move back and forth as she went
to and from the TV trying to fine tune the herringbone
out. My mother saw me doing something with this
box I just bought. She asked what I was doing and
I showed her how I could make Mrs. Atkins go back
and forth. I was 'grounded' for a couple of weeks.

Today, I'm still paying for these evil things I did.
And rightfully so!

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE