[BC] Happy birthday and thanks for the electricity Nikola

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 08:48:42 CDT 2009

When I lived at 27 Wheeler Street in Boston's south end as a kid, We had the opposite problem. all power was DC! To run anything AC, required  use of a motor-generator set. This was because Boston Edison had not yet converted that part of the city. All elevators, including the Bradford Hotel across Tremont Street were DC. The Hayden Inn, where I lived had a DC elevator too, and I became the first resident who could legally operate it! I got an elevator operator's license!!!! City Hall's elevator was also DC and required a full-time licensed elevator operator who was the person who conducted the elevator operator's test for a license.

There were many 500-watt motor-generator sets available for about $5.00 on the surplus market, pulled from Chicago and New York as they went to AC distribution. Most every kid had one in his room, merrily humming alone.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/